As I have gotten older, I have learned to appreciate different formulations of foundations. I like different ones for different reasons, and here are my current favorites:
- MAC Face and Body – this is a great light to medium coverage foundation. It is waterproof and it does have a slight shimmer to it (to give my skin that glowing look), but it can have a tendency to look too shiny if my skin is exceptionally oily that day.
- MAC Studio Fix Fluid – good coverage for oily skin, and it photographs really well. It lasts a long time, but it can tend to look shiny at the end of a long day (particularly on my nose)
- Tarte Amazonian Clay BB Tinted Moisturizer – I love this on days I am feeling particularly lazy. It is a great no makeup look that evens out your skin tone
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay In Place Makeup – this is what I wear when I want to look matte all day long. This is very long lasting coverage, photographs well, and is the only foundation that I do not need to set with a powder.
- Nars Sheer Glow – to me, this is neither sheer nor glowing, but it sits on my large pores exceptionally well. It does not have the staying power of some of the other foundations that I use, but it looks amazing on my skin
- Becca Ultimate Coverage 24 Hour Foundation – the thickest and the longest lasting of all of the foundation. This one, I need to put on with a damp makeup sponge because it is so thick, but it also photographs beautifully and it does not feel heavy once you get it on (which was a very pleasant surprise). It has the best coverage out of all of the ones on this list.
Light reflecting sunscreen (often containing astitanium dioxide or zinc oxide) in a foundation can cause flashback (the whitish glow that comes when a picture is taken with a flash). On the flipside, they also provide a soft-focus, even finish to your makeup, so it is hard to make a decision. One tip is to use Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder in Translucent to set your makeup to help prevent flashback.
These are all “prestige” foundations, but I have found that as I have gotten older, these products work better for me (I use less when applying, so I wind up not looking cakey and saving money in the long run).
I’d love to hear about your favorite foundations – please comment in the section below.
*None of these links are affiliate links, I do not get any money if you purchase any of these products.