I will admit – I am late to the red lipstick game. I was always intimidated by red, and I never thought it would look good on me. Now, I love rocking a red lip – the trick is finding one that is right for you (and one that makes your teeth look nice and white). Here are a few of my favorites:
- MAC – Ruby Woo – the iconic red lipstick from MAC. The one that I refer to as my daytime red. It is a pain to put on – it is one of the Retro Mattes – (I typically need a lip primer or lip balm on first), but once it goes on, it lasts.
- MAC – Russian Red – the one created for Madonna’s Blonde Ambition tour, another fantastic red. It is darker than Ruby Woo and much easier to put on, but it doesn’t last as long as Ruby Woo.
- MAC – Viva Glam Sia – this was an impulse buy. It is not as deep as Russian Red, and, for lack of a better description, more yellow than Ruby Woo (so keep that in mind if your teeth are yellowish). This one has staying power comparable to Russian Red.
- Nyx Matte Lipstick – Perfect Red – this is the color that comes to mind when I think of red lipstick. Matte finish that lasts for a while without the high price tag.
- Nyx Pin Up Pout – Red Haute – a creamier lipstick that is slightly darker than MAC Russian Red. Great color, but doesn’t last long.
- Nyx Pin Up Pout – Lucy – Same as number 5 (creamier, great color), it is brighter than Ruby Woo.
- Laura Mercier Extreme – Dominate – this comes in a long stick format instead of the typical lipstick bullet, and that it the reason I like it. It goes on really easily (you have more control than a normal bullet), the color is amazing, and the lasting power is similar to that of Russian Red.
- Lorac Pro – Ruby – brighter than Dominate, this too comes in the long stick format – which means more control putting it on. Lasting power is also similar to that of Russian Red.
- Charlotte Tilbury – Red Carpet Red – this one surprised me. It is creamy and the color is gorgeous, but it was brighter than I expected on my lips (I expected it to be a very dark red, and it is – to a point – but it really is brighter). It has similar staying power to the Nyx Pin Up Pouts.
Red lipsticks are awesome, you can rock them with a blazer and a pair of jeans. You can rock them with a cocktail dress. It is a quick and easy way to charge up your look, but I highly recommend not kissing anyone while you are wearing them (except for Ruby Woo – you can get away with lightly kissing someone). Otherwise, both you and your kissing partner may wind up looking like a way messier version of Margo Robbie’s Harley Quinn.
On a side note, some of these lipsticks can be pricey, so try to find reward programs or discount codes to help bring the price down.
*The links provided are NOT affiliate links, I do not receive any compensation if you purchase anything through them.